Saturday, December 19, 2009

THE RAVEN - BACK TO OHIO BLUES

Photobucket

Photobucket

"BIKER ROCK/BLUES" 1975 OHIO, USA

“You took all of my money!  And you made me a fool!
Heartache and trouble! Got misery on my mind!”

…screams The Raven (with all the fervor of a drugged out ‘nam vet you would pass on the street) during the opening track “Can’t You See.” The bassline is a single note, plodding along, having nothing to do with any of the notes that the guitar is playing. It’s a minor, dissonant, uncomfortable note. In fact, this very note must be what it FEELS like to live in Cleveland or Akron. It reminds me of that painful, atonal synth screeching away at the beginning of “Non Alignment Pact”, the opening track to Pere Ubu’s debut “The Modern Dance”.

Now after all I’ve just said you may be thinking, “Why would I ever wanna listen to something like that?!” Well my friends, because it’s the sweetest, sludgiest, rawest, darkest, most bad ass song to come out of 1975! It’s as if Keith Richards and Dave Kusworth of the Jacobites woke up in a hotel room so loaded they didn’t know what country they were in, but this was on the little hand held tape recorder lying by the bed.

To be honest, I’ve barely even listened to the rest of the album. (Although it is totally killer. More biker than swamp but you don’t hear me complainin’!) As soon as this song is over, I skip it back to the beginning of the record, over and over again.

Being a private press of 300 originally, the original fetches absurd sums but you’re in luck! He’s reissued it himself on his own label in a limited run of 700. Get ‘em while they last!

TRACK LISTING

01. Can’t You See 5:03
02. Raven Mad Jam 8:10
03. Don’t You Feel 4:51
04. War With My Soul 3:25
05. Back to Ohio Blues 13:12

http://sharebee.com/bfa85495

*This entry was ORIGINALLY written and posted on Monday, December 29th, 2008 by BRUX BLACKHAWK:
http://www.halcyon-magazine.com/2008/12/epyc-relyc-the-raven-back-to-ohio-blues-lp-1975/

No comments:

Post a Comment